Home History Findochty & Harbour Calendar Gallery What we do Coastal rowing Contact Race results Join us
Findochty Water sports Club
© Findochty water sports club
What we do 2009
Lotus Log Portishead (Bristol) tae Buckie After lengthy research on the Internet, readin reports and lookin at photos and drawins, we decided that the boat we wanted ti replace Lolita, would probably be a Barbican 30. We identified 5 fae the lists a boats for sale and flew ti Bristol ti hae a look at them ower a 10day holiday. After lookin at ane at Portishead, 3 at Plymouth and ane at Gosport we decided ti mak an offer for Lotus at Portishead. Phill and Di, who were an absolute pleasure to meet and deal with, accepted wir offer, so we headed hame for a couple of weeks ti complete the paperwork and organise the trip hame. I wis very keen ti sail the boat hame, but, did consider truckin, until the quotes came in, thereafter the decision was easy.Trucking is expensive.! At very short notice, Chief Engineer Ian Morrison agreed ti ma request for him ti jine me for the trip hame. On the 25th Oct we hopped on an Easyjet ti Bristol with 42 kgs between us at Inverness. We hired a car at Bristol airport for 2 days, as the bus service is poor, as is engineer's navigation. It took us 2hrs ti git the 15miles ti Portishead! but saw some bonny countryside covering the logged 50 mile . At 9.30 the next morning, the travel hoist put the boat inti the marina wi nae fuss. Usin a cherrypicker wi an extendin airm that I thocht wis rare, (bit Ian wisna si sure aboot) the mast was stepped affa easy. We spent the rest o' the day bennin on sails an stowin the heap a gear that Phill an Di wir cairtin doon. We knocked aff aboot 5 for coffee/dram and ti say wir cheerio's ti Phill and Di. Somebody,---who hid printed oot road maps for a' ower merry England,----suggested that we shid go ti Asda at Bristol for wir stores an beddin. Armed wi another o his lists we went for mair toorin roon the bonny countyside !! Oh me!!!! Hooever ,the chief judged the mission a success as he had managed tae slip twa bottles o' Black and White and a curn "John Smiths " (apt) , intae the trolley under the doovie we had tae buy due to plane luggage limitations. Next day Sat 27th, we scuttert aboot and late efterneen, efter pittin mair ticks on Ian's list we hoisted the Saltire on the starn and moved ti the fuel berth ti top up. We had aquired twa 5 gal drums athoot lids for spare fuel as we had decided ti motor if required, bearin in mind it wis gittin late in the season, an we were keen ti git north inti familiar waters. We filled the tank an the drums wi nae lids. I suggested we tape a marigold glove ower the openins, bit the Chief, wi his superior knowledge of things diesel, said he wid prefer ti use FL's wi a plastic cup taped on top. His department!!! Fin we came ti use the spare fuel only the cup remained. Lesson-Keep yir contraceptives clear a diesel! Big tides in the Bristol Channel. 48 ft drop at Portishead that day.We were advised to leave around 1 hour afore high water so at 1800 we locked inti a canyon of a lock. However the operation was easy as we tied to a pontoon which was on guides and moved with the changing level .We sailed at 1830 Sat 27th Oct wi St Andrew flutterin at the staff and hugged the Sooth shore ti keep clear o the tide until the ebb came on. Flat calm, so motorin at 2200 revs, 5.2 knots. Efter an hour, we slipped oot inti the channel and picked up ti 9/10 knots and set the watch. Very little traffic. A bonny warm starry nicht. Speed back to 4 knots for a while durin the nicht but up ti 8 by fry up time. Still calm. Slight haze durin the morning (28th) but warm sun seen cleared it. Dolphins passin for an oor or so. I wid estimate 150/200 and they were a' headin east up channel. A very light northerly set in and we hoisted the main, but the flat calm returned within an oor. Early pm, it wis pretty warm so I took the sark aff for an oor. The autohelm had been steerin since we left Portishead, so the watchkeeper had a relaxin time watchin the world go bye. As we came out o the Channel and were passin Skokholm and Skomer we had a foul tide and were doon ti 2/3 knots for a file. Plenty sea anglers aboot and bonny scenery. The original plan was ti go north up the Welsh coast ti Angelsey then probably Port St Mary I.O.M but the forecast wis west ti norwest fresh ti gale for a few days so we headed across the 80 miles ti Arklow Ireland, passin South Bishop at 15.30. By 20.00 it wis bouncy kine bit Lotus wis gan fine and we had the chilli bubblin. A bit of spray and rain noo and thers a sma leak at the heads hatch an also at the tail end. Greaser feels stiff (nae the chief )so hae ti pit in fresh grease! It wis a poor cal nicht as we approached the sooth end o' the Arklow Bank and ran up the inside o' the biggest offshore wind farm in Irish waters. As we approached the hairber at 0400 we had fit wis probably a worthless debate aboot the leadin/nav lichts. We're baith colour blin!!! We tied up in the workin basin at 05.00 on Mon 29th Sept. Efter a few hours sleep I went up to pay the 10 euros for the berth. Relief HM wisna very forthcommin wi local info, so left him to it! Fuel tank was filled again by cairtin drums o' diesel doon tae the boat ,the chief makin plenty fancy calculations aboot oor fuel consumption which was slightly over a litre per hour at 2200 rpm. We had a wanner up the toon tae top up stores and as The Chief wis needin a shower we tried ti find the swimming pool. As we crossed the bridge we stopped a local worthy ti ask directions and efter bein telt ti "listen intently" ( are ye F*****n listnin !!?) Ian wis on his way, and wid be back for sailin wi the tide at 17. 00. I got the stores an headed back ti the boat. Ian arrived back at 16. 00 full o' the joys and wi the info that 7 pints of stout only cost him 5 euros. I dinna ken hoo he dis it but if yi tak a pint, book yir hols at Arklow!!!! Sailed on time wi a strong sou westerly breeze wi a strong tide under us.so we put in a reef in the main and let her run --Perfect sailin. After a hearty meal Ian turned in under his massive downie and I settled doon for the watch ti Howth(40 odd miles fae Arklow). Good sailin for most o the way but had ti roll in a bit o the genny as we came up ti Dublin Bay. Hand steered most o' the way and found Lotus a handy boat ti work. Plenty banks wi bouys, flashin lichts a' the wye north and quite a bit o ferry traffic as we crossed Dublin Bay. We tied up alongside a big visiting boat in a very busy Howth Marina at 23.00, Mon 29th. Had a dram and yarned till 3am.---- Black and White severely depleted !! Next morning I went ti the office ti see if we cid git a berth for a few days as the forecast wis very poor. The man said they were full and suggested we try Malahide a few miles up the coast. W gale by this time and probably he felt sorry for 2 allish Jocks and found a berth for us up the hairber. Twiddled the thumbs there for 3 days, gale most o the time. Ivery time The Chief said "I think it's easin, --lets run up tae Formaldehide cos it'll be cheaper" we got a fresh man at the bellows and it bloody howled! I payed the dues and efter dryin ma een (28 euros a nicht) we sailed oot bye Irelands Eye for Bangor Northern Ireland at 14.00 Frid 3rd Oct. Wind still NW so motor sailing. Passed Rockabill at 17. 30 still punchin . Forecast is westerly, then sw 14/18kts. roll on. Gan ti be a lang nicht. It was! Abreast of St Johns, the wind freshened fae the ssw, 20/25kts fine on the port quarter. Tricky steerin for a while as we had wind inti tide for a few hours wi a fair swell up the bum. As we swung west up Belfast Loch the wind veered west so it wis a poke a' the wye. Tied up in Bangor Marina at 08.00 Sat 4th Oct. Big marina --Plenty berths. Strong wind until Sunday pm. The chief explored and soon found the nearest hostelry !! Left Bangor at 19.00 Sun 5th Oct. bound for Corpach. Licht westerly so motor sailing wi the sea surprisingly calm. Rathlin light was sweepin just o'er the horizon awa tae the North. The QE 2 passed as we approached the Mull Of Kintyre at 04.00. Picked up tide there and made good speed north up bye Gigha . The Chief wis fair impressed wi the two big hills on Jura wi the bonny names. Wind freshened fae the sw, and it was very bouncy abreast o' the Corryvrechan. Kept close to the east shore and managed ti bore a foul tide. Then it wis through the Luing narrows ,up by loch Feochan and intae the Kerrera marina ,Oban at 16.30 Mon for 20litres mair diesel. Twenty meenits later we were backon he road tae Corpach .Hivna sailed in the dark in this waters athoot radar, bit we managed fine. Tied up ootside the lock at 22.30. The pontoon ootside the lock wis awfy poorly lighted.Nae lichts atta',but wi a han and guidance fae anither pair o' yachtie ramblers we got on tae the pontoon. Locked in at 08.00 Tues 7th Oct. and up tae the Benavie locks --nae bather apairt fae The Chief, ( smooth talker ) insultin the nice lady lockkeeper by suggestin she wisna The Boss. Ane ti mind aboot lads ! A Banff wifies ramblin club ( Chiefs age group ) that hid kent Keith Mclean fae Turra chatted tae us on the wye up Neptunes stair and we got tae the top just afore denner time A fairly uneventful run up the canal and the lock keeper at Kytra kindly let us through just afore he knocked off. A meal ashore wi a pint efter we tied up at the Fort saw us get a fit on hallowed grun again efter a fairly intensive couple o days. First thing in the mornin we got doon the locks wi a big Irish fishin boat, and tied up at thebottom. Chief went ashore for mair sausages an black puddin ( conned the butcher oot o, seventeen pence as he wis short o' cash again --we should ging back an pay him sometime ) then had a grand sail down Loch Ness, close enbye Urquhart Castle. Eddie Malcolm wis fair surprised when the Chief shouted tae him as we passed his moorins in the canal. Tied up at Muirton marina at 15.00 Wed 8th Oct. and got the bus hame for a few days. The chief had his bus pass but I had tae paye !! Took train back up ti Inverness on Sat 11th Oct. wi Mo for the last leg hame. Hid a fine nicht oot in INS. and efter breakfast on Sunday, let go fae the pontoon. Locked oot o' the sealock at 10.30 (high water) and had a good sail wi a fresh sw wind a' the way hame. Tied up at Buckie harbour on our berth alongside Foam at 18.00. We enjoyed the trip very much ( me and the Chief are still speakin ) an are afa gled we sailed hame, instead o' trucking! Summary---Sailin in the Bristol Channel must be challenging at times wi the very strong tides especially if its breezy.There were mair motorboats than yachts in the marina!!!.The tides are strongish on the SE coast of Ireland asweel. Ok, we hiv ti work the tides bit it can be uncomfortable wi wind ower tide. Ivery little hairber in Ireland has a sma marina and its very reachable for a 2/3 week cruise wi a bit a planning.A weekend trip ti Corpach or Oban and yir only twa days fae east or west coast o Ireland wi its bonny black stout! I hiv ti thank Ian for helping ti git Lotus hame si quick as we hid spells a poor wither. His keenness ti dee longish overnighters made a' the difference. If we had daysailed it wid've taen a curn days langer John Smith Lotus.
Skippers Deliver  On Thursday 23 November 1995 I was bundled into a Volvo with two other skippers and driven at great speed fromDumbarton To Fleetwood. For the life of me I can’t remember why I was in Dumbarton. Once in Fleetwood we just made it onto the ferry for Douglas, and fetched up, as you would, in the cafeteria. Here we met two more skippers who would accompany us on this delivery trip. We sat eating chocolate muffins and drinking coffee. I remember being in a pub, and then in a taxi, heading to Port St Mary. On a small bridge the driver stopped. You must say hello to the fairies, he said. I think that’s what he said. Once in Port St Mary we embarked onto a thirty-one foot catamaran called Sea Legs. This was to be our aquatic home for the next few days. There were two lazarette berths, but I was not quick enough, ending up having to share the main saloon with another skipper. We picked our space, and bedded down for the night. Sometime in the middle of this dark and cold night Sea Legs took the ground. There was an enormous thump, and then another, as her twin keels settles somewhat unevenly on the seabed. In the morning I found myself in the prettiest of little harbours, and the sun was out. Skippers in boilersuits, making toast, one in the heads and one halfway up the harbour wall. We have a leaky gasket in the water pump one of them says. He set off for a chandlery, or hardware shop. He came back an hour later with a couple of cartons of milk and some local cheese. No gaskets. We’ll have to improvise. During this improvisation someone drove a heavy foot onto the fuel line. This disconnected something else, which appeared to be the morse cable. They took some persuading, but I convinced them this would work if we used clothes pegs, adding and subtracting them according to how much welly was needed. Worked a dream.  The gasket was another problem altogether. The water pump was leaking too much to put to sea. Having emptied the last of the milk cartons, another brainwave struck. Make the gasket out of the carton. The pump was dismantled, and a gasket cut to size. I carefully laid this on the deck whilst I groped under the engine for something to hold on to. In this time, our new gasket took it upon itself to blow away over the side. We were scuppered! The water pump was now in bits, and the original one was in several pieces. One of the skippers had to go back to Douglas, via the crazy fairies. He came back with an entire new pump.  On Saturday lunchtime we cast off with the wind from the east, and F2. Lovely! Under power we headed through the Calf of Man, and I am up the mast freeing the main halyard. There was a heavy sea ahead, and down I came with a thud, landing on the port side, camera round neck, having just taken a most beautiful shot of the lighthouse! At 21.00 we finally got some sail up. I was on the helm and changed course round Mew Island. I ended up in Bangor Marina just short of midnight, too cold to try out their new hot showers.  On the Sunday the pontoon was covered in ice. We motor sailed on 394 degrees (034? Bob) for a few hours, during which I was chained to the galley by the oldest of the skippers, probably because I was the only female. So I spent several hours feeding people soup and bread through a little gap in the bulkhead. The larger of the skippers was on the helm. The skipper who was skippering was ill, his role was duly assumed by the oldest skipper, by default. I became the galley slave, the gofer, the logger, the bosun, and occasionally the parrot. Repeat the course back to me please, he insisted. This is where I fell asleep. The next I knew we had tied up in Rhu marina and it was four a.m.  The reason for this delivery, the first of three, was to get Sea Legs through the Caledonian Canal to the east coast, for my benefit!  The reason for adding this extract to the newsletter is that, once more, this weekend I find myself fighting with a similar morse cable. Unfortunately this one cannot be fixed with clothes pegs!! Tina Harris
A cruise round Cape Horn I was very fortunate to escape the icy grip of mid winter in the North of Scotland and join my family on a trip to South America including a 15-night passage around the tip of South America. Unfortunately our boat carried no sail but as some compensation was capable of steaming at 25 knots, more usually cruising at 18 knots. She was the” Radiance of the Seas” a beautiful cruise ship, built exactly to the maximum dimensions of the Panama Canal (a “PANAMAX” vessel) We embarked in the tropical climes of Santos, Brazil and after brief stops in Uruguay and Argentina and sailing for eight days and 2,400 nautical miles we arrived at the island of Cabo de Hornos. Lying at latitude of 56 degrees south (longitude 66 west) this is less distance from the equator than Findochty but what a wild and windy spot! Even in late December in the middle of the Southern summer temperatures rarely exceed 12 degrees C and the westerly winds are unrelenting. The Admiralty routing chart for December shows a blue jagged line to the north marking the Northern iceberg limit. To the south lies the Drake Passage the most notorious part of the dreaded Southern Ocean. The island itself is about 10 miles in diameter and rises in the south to cliffs at 400 meters altitude. Ashore there is a lighthouse, Chilean coastguard station, a memorial to all the seamen who have died making the passage and a large marker signifying the passage. We were fortunate to see the Cape in mild conditions. The sun was out, wind about 16 knots and wave height less than 2 meters, the circumnavigation would have been ideal for a club race although I still bet Vivari or Bramble would have won! A ritual on cruise ships here is the “Penguin Parade”, unheated seawater is pumped in to the open air pool and those who wish to can have a swim and are given a wee certificate from the captain. Personally I can vouch this is nothing when compared to Burghead harbour on Boxing Day. Having rounded the Horn we then made for the Beagle Channel, Tierra del Fuego and the Magellan Straits. Finally we cruised the stunningly beautiful Patagonian fjords and disembarked in Valparaiso. The total trip was just under 5000 nm and even Kathryn who can become seasick at the mere suggestion of walking on to a boat had no problems at all. For Jenna and Kirsten this was a formative experience and I can heartily recommend the “cruising experience” to all my fellow cruise novices. Angus Gallacher Kentra
Commissioning Harmony After the usual post season jobs in 2008 carried out on Harmony such as stripping of off sails, spray hood, dodgers, tiller, autohelms, anchors, warps, fenders, oilies, bedding, dinghy and assorted accumulated junk it was time to look at jobs to be done. The routine tasks such as as oil and filter changes, adjustment of the alternator belt, checking of gearbox oil levels and replacement of engine heat exchanger anodes were carried out and a list of made of other jobs. Additional winches were fitted in the cockpit dedicated to handling the spinnaker; this proved a relatively simple job with access to one via the cockpit locker and the other through dismantling the quarter berth headlining. The deck light had packed up during last season so another was sourced and John sent up the mast in the bosuns chair to fit it. The mechanical wind indicator on the top of the mast was found broken in the cockpit one day during the winter so being too mean to buy another this was repaired with epoxy glue and John sent up the mast to refit it. Being 40 feet above the deck our repair is hopefully invisible. The interior was scrubbed and cleaned from stem to stern and batteries put on charge regularly. The hull gel coat was starting to look a little faded and a decision was made to use a fine cutting compound and a foam G mop to take off the surface dullness. This had not been done since 1991, the second year after we bought the boat. After setting up staging around the hull at a sensible working height I applied the polishing mop using it wet fitted into a slow/medium speed electric angle drill and the messy job begun. This took most of the day and ending up with me looking like a Dalmatian with the spots in reverse. After a hose down and wipe over with a soft brush the hull was gleaming despite the scars of 20 years of cruising. Another 5 hours applying non-silicon based polish and a shine up with dusters and the job was done. The propeller was given a burnish with emery paper and the sacrificial shaft anode replaced. Harmony was also due a full "out of water" survey for insurance purposes, the last one having been carried out 10 years previous. The survey was carried out at the beginning of March and found the boat in good condition with negligible to nil evidence of moisture in the hull laminate and just 3 recommendations. These recommendations related to replacement of the cooker flexible hose with an appropriate section indicating its date of manufacture, the seacock for the galley sink, which had seized and our flares which (although numerous) were out of date. Antifouling was applied mid March and the blue waterline stripe touched up with paint. Then began the long process of putting everything back aboard via the ladder for the new season. Sails bent on, inflatable dinghy deflated and put in its carry bag, the onerous task of tying on the dodgers with a thousand tie wraps, carrying all the paraphernalia back on board including fresh towels and flannels from our wives. The stores were well stocked up with a plenty of boxes of beer (its much easier to carry these up the ladder into the boat at the beginning of the season, rather than carrying soggy wet cardboard boxes in a tender out to the boat on her mooring on a "soft" west coast evening). A check on John's tractor and our lorry chassis that Harmony sits on in its winter yard to ensure everything is working as it should and we are ready for the crane. Then off we go again hopefully for a fine run up to Inverness and a relaxed cruise through the Caledonian Canal, then on to our summer mooring at Loch Aline, Sound of Mull for our twenty first season of west coast cruising. Phil Brown Harmony
John Barclay and Robert Morrice launched harmony on Saturday 11 April at 7 am in Buckie harbour as I was on holiday in England. Within an hour John and Robert left for Inverness. Unfortunately by the time they reached Lossiemouth the wind was on their nose and they had a 10-hour trip hugging the coast to avoid the worst of the motion. The decks were swept from stem to stern occasionally and they were pleased to arrive at Clachnaharry sea loch by about 6 pm where Fred Murray met them to assist through the canal. The trip through the canal was very slow particularly at Fort Augustus, and the large number of hire cruisers on the canal due to it being a Bank Holiday weekend affected progress badly so much so that it was Monday afternoon before they reached the bottom of Neptune's Staircase. Harmony was left in the reach before the Corpach sea loch basin until the next weekend when Fred and John took Harmony onwards to its summer mooring at Loch Aline. They had a good trip in lovely weather and reinstated Harmony's mooring for the summer before being met by John's wife Tricia who had driven over and brought them home. On the first weekend of May myself, Fred and John set off to Loch Aline for the long Bank Holiday weekend. The forecast was poor and so it turned out to be. Our plans to sail down to Crinan and Loch Craignish had to be abandoned in the face of strong west to south- westerly winds between force 6 to 7. Instead we played in the Sound of Mull, which is sheltered from the worst of the motion. Saturday we beat up the Sound 12 miles to Tobermory with 3 reefs and a well rolled up headsail at 6 to 6.5 knots. We had a late brunch anchored at Tobermory and John and Fred rowed ashore for a walk around and a pint. I relaxed in the sunshine and watched the seaplane between Glasgow and Tobermory land and take off again. As the forecast spoke about the wind becoming north-westerly later we abandoned Tobermory and had a fast reach back to Loch Aline for dinner on board before bed. There were a lot of strong gusts felt through the night and early morning. Next morning the forecast was no better leaving us with no choice but another play around in the Sound. Again it was 3 reefs but with more wind, we did not know the strength because the wind cones got blown of the top of the mast by the second tack. We tacked up the Sound of Mull for maybe 3 hours in very fresh conditions until we got fed up and turned about and had a sleigh ride back to Loch Aline fortified with bacon and sausage butties. It rained that night but we were snug on our mooring and enjoyed our dinner and drinks. Again it blew strong through the night and we woke up to a wet and windy dawn again. After a light breakfast we tidied up and rowed ashore and drove the long road home. - Not our best weekend ! Phil Brown Harmony
The first race of the season was held on Sunday and seven boats took part in what turned out to be quite an exciting and lively one. The weather had settled considerably from the unpleasant conditions of the day before but there was still a stiff breeze from the south. The sun shone though and that made all the difference to everyone. Most of the boats started under full sail but it soon became apparent that at least one reef would have been better as the wind increased as time passed. No one wanted to give away any advantage and the wind was fluctuating so there was plenty of canvas to be seen. A close group of boats vied with one another to get across the line and get a good start, and then they were off positively flying in a tight group. As they went I could see one boat scooping up water with its genoa as it was caught in a gust of wind. The first turn was off the mile marker to the east of Finechty then returning through the start gate and on to Buckie where the boats turned on a line from the big lighthouse on the pier and the East Mucks then returning to pass through the start line again. This last part turned out to be quite awkward as, while the racing was pretty close, most boats had to throw in an extra tack just to get over the line. The exception to this was achieved ably by Ron Billings who, despite a bad start, managed to make up a bit of ground, particularly at the finishing line, by not having to tack and therefore saving valuable time. Unfortunately Ron missed going through the starting gate in the middle of the race as required and unfortunately was disqualified as a result. Very hard lines Ron as it was difficult to see the marker buoys in the glare of the water ------Should have gone to spec-savers! Fred Murray Solan
Cruise to Portsoy, Sunday 24th May The promise of sunshine and southerly winds prompted Neil to arrange a Sunday cruise in company to Portsoy "for a pint". The weather was indeed warm and sunny and the wind was blowing between 10 and 14 knots from the south, creating a flat calm sea surface for us. There was a good turn out for the occasion, with Fusion 2, Sparkle and Solan taking part, as usual. We also had newcomers to cruising, Olive and Mike on Cutlass and Ed and Ann on Bacchus, a.k.a. Wylo Too. Our event got off to a good start with a fabulous display of Dolphins, just outside Findochty harbour then we all set sail on what turned out to be a very pleasant journey down to Portsoy with skipper Bert at the helm of Fusion 2, and Neil flying the Spinnaker. Mairi decided to be ballast!!! Sunday is my day off. We met James Cowie out on the water, sailing Sunrise but we couldn't persuade him to come into Portsoy harbour with us for socialising. A warm welcome awaited us at the Shore Inn, Portsoy, by Jimmy and his staff who happened to be screening both the Rangers and Celtic games live on TV. The Shore are now doing bar food at the weekends. We were very popular with the tourists that day, and several photos were taken of our fleet. When we departed in dribs and drabs to sail back to Findochty the wind had dropped to nothing and we were motor sailing, however, as we opened Cullen Bay the wind picked up considerably and swung round to the southwest. Out came Fusion's jib and we were off! A cracking sail was had to Findochty, doing between 6 and 7 knots all the way back to the harbour. We threw in a final tack to get back in close and then we scraped our way back to the berth just before someone "pulled the plug out of the bath". Neil and Mairi decided to rescue Louis the collie dog's tennis ball from the harbour in front of a bemused audience, using utensils such as a 28 and a half feet yacht, a sweeping brush and plastic scoop holder to retrieve the ball before returning Fusion to her berth. Not many dogs such get such loving attention as that one does. I've lost count of the amount of times we have fished his toys out of the water. A quick tidy up was done and then we headed to the Howff to try out the new barbeque. The cooking went well and we had some of the usual fayre, clapped between a softie. What a way to round off a fantastic day. Even the chefs from the Admirals came over for a burger. I am sure that the smell of Bob's cooking was "gan roon their herts like a hairy worm". The barbecue is available to all club members to use at the Howff building. No coals are required. Please just give it a clean when you are finished with it, using the cleaning materials supplied. Here's looking forward to a summer of sunshine, sailing and barbeques… Mairi Innes Secretary